If there is only one Roast Chicken recipe I have to choose, it’ll be this Perfect Roast Chicken. This home-run recipe from my Food Network idol, Ina Garten (aka Barefoot Contessa) is pretty much fool-proof and comes out of the oven perfect every time.
Follow the recipe to a tee and you can’t go wrong. A few things you might want to take note are:
• Pat the chicken including the cavity really dry with kitchen towels. Moisture is the number one enemy for this Perfect Roast Chicken. The moisture actually dries out the chicken during the cooking process. Strange but true.
• Salt the chicken generously all over and inside the cavity as well so the flavor will penetrate into the meat. General rule: use about 1 tbsp salt for a 1.8 kg sized chicken.
• Let your chicken comes to room temperature before roasting if you want your chicken to be tender.
• Let your chicken rest for 15 mins after it is cooked so the juices will have a chance to settle back into the flesh.
• Proper tools will make your job easier! For today’s recipe, I will be using the Polywood range of cutlery and BBQ items from Tramontina
Recipe source: Ina Garten from Food Network
Preheat your oven at 210°C/425°F.
Dry your chicken really well season generously with half of the salt and pepper.
Stuff the lemon, garlic and thyme into the chicken cavity.
Spread and massage softened butter all over the chicken and season again with the remaining salt and pepper.
*I used about 1.5 tbsp salt for my 1.8 kg chicken
Tie both legs together to seal the cavity and tuck the wings under the breast so they will not burn.
Arrange the vegetables in a deep roasting pan and season with salt, pepper, steak seasoning (if using) and olive oil.
Place roasting rack on top of the vegetables and place the chicken on it. If you do not have a roasting rack, just place the chicken directly on top of the vegetables.
Bake in preheated oven for 60 mins to 90 mins, or until the juices run clear when you poke the thighs.
Flip the chicken half way into cooking. Return to original side 10 mins before end of cooking time. Mine was done in 80 mins.
Let it rest in the oven for 15 mins before serving together with the roasted vegetables.
This article was brought to you in partnership with Tramontina.
From 18th July till 20th August 2017, enjoy 30% to 40% off Tramontina’s entire Polywood range as well as their BBQ items at Robinsons The Heeren, Robinsons JEM and Redmart.com.